Sunday, March 5, 2017

Secret Family Recipe

My husband is a very relaxed, go with the flow kind of guy.  Whatever I make, he'll eat.  He's very laid back which is what I need. Every once in a while he'll pick something he wants. This weekend, he picked Texas Sheet Cake. When he was growing up when they had birthday's him and his seven brothers would always ask Grandma Bushman to make Texas Sheet Cake.  She was the queen of Texas Sheet Cake.  Nobody to this day can make Grandmas Sheet Cake.  But I attempt it and something is always wrong.  But its still edible.  I think he secretly wants something to go wrong so that it is the one thing his Grandma still has for herself.  Any who, this time around, something went wrong with the frosting.  I don't think I cooked it long enough.  So make sure you cook it enough.


Texas Sheet Cake
2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Four
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Cup Water
2 Cubes Margarine
4 Tbls Cocoa
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 Eggs
1 tsp Baking Soda

Preheat oven to 375. Boil water, margarine and cocoa.  Add sugar, flour and salt. Mix well.  Add sour cream, eggs and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Pour into a greased and floured (or sprayed) cookie sheet.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.* Until a toothpick comes out clean.--Immediately frost.

***Don't over bake or you'll have a dry cake.  Mine baked for just shy of 20 minutes.

While cake is baking, mix the frosting so it's ready when the cake comes out.

Frosting
2 Cubes Margarine
6 Tbls Evaporated milk
4 Tbls Cocoa
1 box powder sugar (about 4 cups)
1 Cup Chopped Pecans
1 tsp vanilla

Boil margarine, milk and cocoa for 1 minute.  Add sugar, nuts and vanilla.  Pour/spread on warm cake.
Like I said before, make sure you boil on a full rolling boil for one minute.

So yummy.  I love this cake and I love even more the significance it has to the hubs.  Maybe one day I'll perfect it like Grandma.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a tricky recipe. I'm pretty impressed that you keep on trying to make it even though someone always tells you something is wrong with it! I think I would pass out dirty looks instead of cake if someone always kept telling me something was wrong with my cake:) This sounds like a good challenge. I'll definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete